Thursday, July 24, 2008

'Bumper to bumper' turtle sculpture-work in progress 3

Well my turtles are cast, and patinated too thanks to Kristen's handiwork at Bronze Smith foundry in Arizona.
We have collaborated on several pieces now, most recently my elephant in Rodin's thinker pose.
The pics from the foundry aren't perfect for color, you can see the difference in their appearance from the two shots of the main turtle both indoors and outside.
I think that browny colored background inside is white (or neutral gray).
Strangely he grew an extra claw on his back foot during casting!
Actually, there was a rod running around the outside of the claws to allow the metal to flow to the ends, and it seems the end of the rod got confused for a claw at metal chasing time.
All better now though, my turtle now sports the correct complement of claws on his feet.
When I get the partly submerged ones they will need to be attached to the 32" long polished granite base so they can be reflected in its shinyness.
They won't be arranged like this either, you can see what they'll look like in my earlier post.
I'm pretty keen to finish putting them together and see them all done.
Lots more stuff on my website.

3 comments:

Matt Jones said...

Fantastic sculptures Steve & fascinating insight into their fabrication. Great blog- are u in the UK?

Steve sculpts critters said...

I grew up there, but now I live in New Mexico in the you ess of ay.

Robert said...

Love the turtles, and had a good laugh about the extra toe. I got one of my rams back with his feet facing the wrong way! Needless to say I have moved foundry. I tend to do my own chasing but it is time consuming.
Best wishes from the other side of the pond.