Saturday, September 5, 2009

How Sprightly mouse and Creamsicle kitty became friends, and Barkin' Ball, the Santa Fe Animal Shelter and Humane Society bash...

A couple of weeks ago Celia at the coffee shop told us she had some kittens.
Not being one to miss a photo opportunity for Sprightly mouse, I asked if I could borrow them for a couple of hours.

Last weekend she brought two of them by. Creamsicle and Picasso.
They were unbelievably well behaved and photo friendly, and Meridee fell instantly in love with Picasso. If we had to have a Picasso in the house, that little kitty would be it.

Celia was keeping Picasso (not that we could have, Meridee is off the charts allergic), but said Creamsicle needed a home. So I used one of the pics to make a poster for her, which this morning she told us has done the trick (I cut off her phone # for this blog post version).


She put it up at the local Co-Op market and has been inundated with offers, so after a careful screening it looks like Creamsicle gets a home.


We also recently went to the Santa Fe Humane Society and Animal Shelter (or vice-versa) to meet Gabrielle who works there, and drop off a set of six bronze mice for their upcoming bash and art auction, the 'Barkin' Ball'. It will be held at the convention center and tickets I believe are $60 (as of right now).
The shelter's not far away, and is sprawled on a bunch of land overlooking plains and mountains with spectacular views of the sunsets.

Gabrielle was very nice and showed us around the building with all the otherwise homeless bunnies, kittens, cats, puppies and dogs that they are caring for. It's pretty hard to resist the big sad brown eyes as they get up and stare imploringly at you from their tiny rooms, gripping your hand with their paws. It's kind of a bit like doggy jail, except for the puppies who just roll about blissfully ignorant of their situation.

It's more like camp for them.

Since June, when I decided to give one mouse away to art auctions benefitting animal shelters, for every five mice I sell I've given 8 away. I'll need to give a few more to the Barkin' Ball and I suspect soon a bunch to Felines and Friends for their Christmas bash since those mice just keep trotting out through the door!

I think there's another homeless animal shelter locally that might host auctions, after that I'll be searching further afield.

My mice are on a mission to find homes for them, one kitty at a time...

My website, and Etsy store.

2 comments:

Deborah Paris said...

So glad to hear Creamsicle has a home thanks to you Steve (and Sprightly- your alter ego).

Steve sculpts critters said...

It's all Sprightly.
All I did was snap a few pics!